The disclaimer bits

This is my occasional journal of things I have been up to. My comments are my own and are in no way intended to reflect the views of any organisation I belong to or have associations with.

If you don't like what I say- tough luck, this is my blog and I will write what I want, not what you want me to.

All photographs are my own and are copyrighted by me. They may NOT be used in any form elsewhere. They may NOT be shared on facebook or any other social media site at any time, if you do I will hunt you down and force you to look at every picture I have ever taken with full director's commentary.

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Conference call

Day 6 (day 2 of conference)
First up apologies for the spelling mistakes- things have been really hectic and getting online has been a bit erratic so stuff gets typed in at high speed in short breaks and the err0r$ creep in.
Anyway day 2 consisted of the final two vists, first off to the MFS (Metro Fire Station) where we were given a power point showing fire service capabilities, taken through the decontamination units that are used - the "pod" is very cool, and shown the command centre- tho I would question having it in the third floor if an earthquake happens. Apparently Adelaide sits on a fault line so it is possible.
After that it was out to Fulham to look at the set up there- which we had seen during the week so nothing to really add about that.
Back at the Conference Hall after lunch the key speaker (name not to hand) was from the State Government and she was a very energetic speaker (luckily by this stage!) who gave us a run down on the recovery processes post disaster. The conference was wrapped up by the Minister for Volunteers.
I then hooked up with Dave Schilling, my host for the week and the Regional Training Leader for the Riverlands area and after saying goodbye to the other exchangees we headed off to Dave's home in Tanunda. A quick stop to do a first response on the way (an"unconcious" teenager) broke up the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment